This is the speciality of Ayurveda and it helps to detoxify the body. By various panchakarma procedures, toxins are cleaned from the body and this helps in the early recovery of diseases. By panchkarma therapies, patients got permanent relief from diseases. when aggravated doshas are cleaned from body chances of recurrence are minimum. Different types of panchkarma procedures are as under.
This is medical emesis. In this procedure, aggravated kapha dosha is cleaned from the body by use of various herbal paste, herbal decoction, etc. in a proper manner. In this procedure, vomiting is induced by herbal medicines and with this kapha doshas are cleaned. This helps to treat various disorders eh Asthma, Chronic Rhinitis, Allergic Cold, Chronic Cough, Allergy, Acidity, Psoriasis, Obesity, Hormonal diseases, Thyroid, High Cholesterol, etc.
This is a type of medical purgation. In this procedure, aggravated pitta dosha is cleaned from the body by inducing loose motion with specific herbal decoction, powder, gritha, etc. This is very helpful in following diseases eg. pitta Prakop disorders, Skin diseases, Allergy, Eczema, Obesity, Liver Problems, Sleep Problems, Stress-Related disorder, Migraine, High Blood pressure, Cancer, etc.
3. Nasya karma
This is nasal administration of different herbal oil, herbal rasa, powder, etc. for detoxification and rejuvenation of nasal cavity and all organs of the above shoulder area. This is a very effective panchkarma treatment for brain-related disorders, Hormonal Disorders, Sinusitis Problems, Headache, Migraine, Facial Paralysis, Paralysis, Stress, Depression, Sleeplessness, Hairs Problem, Memory Problem, Facial Beauty, etc.
4. Basti Chikitsa(Medicated Enema):-
There are two types.
i) Anuvasana Basti
ii) Niruhan Basti
Anuvasan Basti :- In this procedure medicated oil, ghee, etc. are administered in the Anal cavity by a proper manner in the form of an enema. This basti is given immediately after food and it remains in the body for some time. This is used to pacify the vata dosha and it gives strength to the body. It does oleation of the body and very effective in dathu kshya vata prakop.
Niruhan Basti :- This Basti is for detoxification, it cleans toxins from the body and balances the vata dosha. Basti treatment is the best treatment for aggravated vata dosha and it is so important that Acharyas have counted it as 50% of the main treatment. This basti is useful for the following disorders eg. Sandhivata, aamvata, Back Pain, Sciatica, Lumbar Disc Problem, Parkinson's diseases, Cervical Pain, Nerves Weakness, Gaunt, Muscular Dystrophy, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Infertility, etc.
5. Rakta Mokshan
This is also a type of panchkarma procedure In which dushit rakt or blood is cleaned from the body by various manners, Jalauka therapy(Leech Therapy), siravedhan, prachhan karma, alabu karma, etc. are the procedures used for detoxifying the aggravated rakta dosha or dushit blood. This procedure is helpful in different diseases eg Skin Disorders, Psoriasis, Eczema, Leucoderma, Varicose Vein, Vata Rakta, High Blood Pressure, Joint Pain etc. These above are the six types of main panchkarma procedures told by acharyas. With this keraliya panchkarma is very famous and used to treat different types of disorders all over India by expert doctors.
Poorva karma is also used for the treatment of different diseases and also for the preparation of the body for main panchkarma procedures. In this full-body abhyanga and herbal steam bath or fomentation are done.
Details of Different Type of Keraliya Panchkarma and Poorva Karma are as under:-
- Sarvanga Abhyanga or Full body massage:- This is a Poorva Karma procedure, In this massage is done on the full body with specific herbal oils according to the disease condition. In this procedure marma points of the whole body are also pressed with massaging. This helps to relax the whole body and helps to decrease body pain. This increases the age of the patient and gives strength to all muscles, bones & nerves of the body.
- Sarvanga Svedana or Herbal Steambath :- In this procedure herbal steam is given to the whole body by sitting in a steam box for a specific period of time. This procedure helps to relieve stiffness, pain, swelling of the body. It cleans the toxins from the body and also decreases ama. It also helps to reduce body weight.
- Udvartanam :- In this procedure dry herbal powders massage is done on the whole body in a specific manner for a specific period of time. This procedure helps to reduce extra fat from the body and increase the glow of the skin. It reduces wrinkles and increases longevity.
- Lepachikitsa:- In this procedure different herbal paste are applied on the body, joints, etc. for a specific period of time. This is very useful in different joint pain, swelling & degeneration conditions, etc.
- Potalisek/pinda Sweda:- In this procedure body sek is done by making potali or bolus with different herbal powder, leaves, oil, etc. Hot fermentation is done on the whole body or any painful joint in a specific manner. This procedure is very useful for knee joint pain, back pain, cervical pain, shoulder pain, joint pain, etc. This procedure is done for 05 to 10 days according to the condition of diseases.
- Sastikshali Pinda Sweda:- This is a special type of panchkarma procedure which is mainly done in degenerative joint and nerves, muscle weakness conditions. In this procedure potali are made by specific boiled rice and hot fermentation is done on the whole body by dipping the potali in milk and herbal decoction's. This is a very famous treatment of Kerala. This treatment is useful for the following diseases, Sandhi Vat, Muscular Dystrophy, Poliomyelitis, Lumbar Disc Problem, Motor Neuron Diseases, Parkinson's diseases, General Muscular Weakness, etc.
- Pizichil :- This is also a keraliya treatment in which medicated oils are poured on the whole body in Dhara form in a specific manner. This is a type of oil bath. This treatment is useful in nerve weakness, body pain and it balances the Vata dosha.
- Sirodhara:- This is one of the best treatments of keraliya panchkarma. In this medicated oil, herbal decoction or medicated milk, etc. are poured on a head region in dhara form for a specific period of time. The patient is lying on dhara table or droni and his eye is closed and oil is poured on the forehead region in dhara form. The temperature of the oil is maintained. This treatment is very effective in Migraine, Headache, Paralysis, Memory Problems, Sleeplessness, Stress, Tension, Degenerative Brain Condition, Hair Problems, etc.
- Takra Dhara:- In this procedure, medicated buttermilk is poured on the forehead region in Dhara form for a specific period of time. This treatment is very effective in different scalp disorders. This helps to treat dandruff problems, psoriasis, B.P. problem, hair falling, sleeplessness, and stress conditions.
- Kativasti:- In this procedure medicated oil is retained on the back region by making a circle of medicated flour or aata. The oil keeps Lukewarm and it is retained for 20-30 minutes on the spine region and it is very effective for back pain, stiffness, disc problems, spine injuries, degenerative disc, problems, muscle weakness, etc.
- Greeva Vasti:- When medicated oil is retained for a specific period of time on neck area or cervical area then it is called greeva vasti. It helps to treat cervical pain, muscle and nerve weakness, and cervical degeneration conditions.
- Januvasti:- In this procedure medicated oil is kept on the knee joint region by making a ring with medicated aata or flour. The oil keeps Lukewarm and retains for a specific period of time. This helps to treat knee joint pain, stiffness ligament injuries, and knee osteoarthritis conditions. It gives strength to a knee joint.
- Netra Vasti:- In this procedure, medicated ghee is poured in both eyes by making a ring around eyes with a medicated flour or urad dal. Ghee is kept Lukewarm and keep for a specific period of time according to the disease condition. This procedure gives strength to eye muscles and nerves. It helps to improve vision and relax the eye muscles. This treatment also helps to reduce dark circles under the eyes.
- Herbal Facial:- In this procedure herbal paste, creams and oils are applied to face region, and face massage is done in a proper manner. Face packs and steam is also given for detoxification of face area. It helps to increase the glow of the skin. It removes dark circles and also reduces wrinkles and ageing changes. It also helps to reduce pimples problems.
- AgniKarma:- In this procedure heat is given by Panch Loh laka on a specific tender point for a short period. This is a very effective treatment to reduce painful conditions. This helps to reduce knee Joint Pain, Heels Pain, Tennis Elbow, Cervical Pain, Back Pain, Shoulder Pain, etc.